Most Popular Modems
Motorola MB8600 - Reviews, Prices, Specs and Alternatives
- Ultra high specs
- DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.1 compatible
- Quick installation and setup
- No built in router
- Not necessary at this time
Technology today in its very nature is fleeting. One day you got the perfect setup and before you know it the next big thing comes and renders your stuff obsolete. Cable modems are a fine example of such. If you are proud of having the fastest internet package your ISP can offer, you’ve likely got your eye on one of the top shelf devices. DOCSIS 3.0 is the standard today for what modems use to access the internet. DOCSIS 3.1 then was released months later. But what does this new standard mean? Is it worth investing in a DOCSIS 3.1 modem, or is it simply hype?
Responsible for partly develiping the DOCSIS standard, Motorola gives us the MB8600. The question is, are all modems DOCSIS 3.1 compatible? No, they arent and only very few companies have access to this. But this modem gives you more flexibility by supporting DOCSIS 3.0 as well just in case your ISP hasnt updated yet. In terms of speed this modem is a beast requiring you to use all 4 Ethernet ports to max out its 3.8Gbps capacity. Thanks to its Full Band Capture technology, this modem will be useful in rural areas, or locations with poor signal quality as it maximizes signal input.
Even though this modem is a beast by today's standards, its greatest strength is its greatest weakness. The DOCSIS 3.1 format will not be used for a while as its still in its early stages. This means much, much cheaper modems will actually work at the same speed since its very likely since your ISP doesn't have DOCSIS 3.1 just yet. Its also quite pricey at the $150.00 range. So buying this today will depend on your objective, do you want to buy a Lamborghini to pick up your laundry? Or are you an Elon Musk fan and want to prepare for the future?Read full review Hide full review
- Ultra fast DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem
- 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0
- Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) ports
- Active Queue Management (AQM)
- New in 2017, this ultra fast DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem also includes 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0. Your best choice for the highest speeds with any cable modem service, even the fastest. Downloads up to 46 times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. Includes bonded Gigabit Ethernet ports for speeds over 1 Gigabit per second when supported by your service and router. A Broadcom modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks.
- Requires cable Internet service. Certified by Comcast XFINITY for all residential speeds, including Extreme 300 and Gig-speed, and Comcast Business for all cable modem speeds including Deluxe 250. Certified by Cox Communications for all speeds, including Gigablast. Typically saves $120 per year in cable modem rental fees. Actual savings depends on your cable service provider. (MB8600 does NOT include a router and does NOT have a phone jack for Telephone Service option from Cable Companies.)
- Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet (GigE) ports allow connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. The multiple Ethernet ports are NOT for connecting multiple devices; they allow connection to a router that can bond more than one Ethernet port to achieve speeds over 1 Gbps when supported by your cable service. Supports IPv4 and IPv6. Includes Broadcom full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) significantly reduces Internet latency, much better than popular 32x8 3.0-only cable modems. AQM results in faster page loads for all Web traffic and greatly enhances interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A two-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment. Includes phone and web support by friendly, professional USA-based technical support specialists.
- Read more