Most Popular Modems
Motorola MG7550 - Reviews, Prices, Specs and Alternatives
Whenever you get an internet connection from any cable provider they usually give you cheap cable modems and routers that just barely get the job done and you'll always end up buying a bridge, or a new modem and router entirely. Motorola has been doing this for a while now and lets see if their latest release, the MG7550 is a good option for you buyers out there.
First off only buy this if you have a CABLE INTERNET provider, not Fiber optic, and not DSL or THIS WONT WORK. The best thing about buying your own cable modem / router is that you save more in the long run because you don't have to pay that rental fee for inferior equipment. The MG7550 combines a 16x4 cable modem with an AC1900 Wi-Fi gigabit router that saves space, eliminates cluttered wires, and simplifies the setup. This is also certified by a cable service providers including Comcast XFINITY® and Time Warner Cable®. It is DOCSIS 3.0 compatible and works with lower versions, has 16 downstream channels for speeds up to 686 Mbps and 4 upstream channels for speeds up to 123 Mbps. Its built in Wi-Fi router is an overall good performer, with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports, 3 internal antennas with AnyBeam beamforming at 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz to maximize range and coverage. Setup is easy and almost automatic with Quickstart and another interesting feature is that it has parental control making you kids internet usage safer.
Overall it is a decent product. The drawbacks of this product are actually more preferential if anything. First it doesn't have a phone jack to connect VOIP, its also quite expensive at the $160 - $180 range, I'm not quite sure its worth the investment if you're using a not-so-fast internet connection. Cable internet is also declining in popularity and will soon be extinct with the rise of fiber optics. Id recommend waiting for a fiber optic provider to be available in your area and invest on that instead. But if you're in the middle of nowhere with a cable provider, this is as good as it gets.
- Overall good performance
- Easy setup
- Can have multiple devices connected with no loss of speed
- No phone jack
- Might be obsolete soon
- 16x4 686 Mbps
- DOCSIS 3.0
- Built-in AC1900 Wi-Fi Gigabit Router and Power Boost
- Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports
- AC1900 Wi-Fi and Power Boost
- Attractive White Case version of popular grey Motorola Model MG7550. 16x4 686 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem gateway with a built-in AC1900 Dual Band Wi-Fi Gigabit Router and Power Boost, four 10/100/1000 Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, and firewall. The 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0.
- Certified by Comcast XFINITY for all residential speeds, including Extreme 250, certified by Time Warner Cable for all speeds including 300 Mbps, also certified by Cox and other service providers for their modem ownership programs. Charter Spectrum approved. (MG7550 has no phone jack for Telephone Service option from Cable Companies.)
- High-speed wireless router with AC1900 Wi-Fi and Power Boost provides Internet access for wireless n, ac, g, and b devices including smartphones, computers, tablets, game stations, Chromecast, Apple TV, Roku, HDTVs. Four Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers, HDTVs, game stations, and other Ethernet-capable devices.
- Wireless Power Boost adds high-performance Wi-Fi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant boost in speed and range. In addition, AnyBeam beamforming at both 2.5 GHz and 5.0 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range.
- Integrating the cable modem and router creates a more reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design further minimizes shelf space, improves cooling and extends product life while looking great in any home or office.improves cooling and extends product life while looking great in any home or office.
- Read more