Most Popular Routers
Comparing Actiontec GT784WN and ASUS RT-AC68U
- Extremely fast transfers
- Long range
- Easy setup
- Multitude of features for its price
- Feature overkill for standard users
At the high end of consumer markets as far as routers are concerned, the ASUS RT-AC68 brings us powerhouse features that will suit home or small businesses. High end equates to a high price, but lets see if its justified.
A rarity for ASUS routers, the RT-AC68 stands upright and doesn't have the stealth fighter aesthetic like its competitors, but in fairness its upright design and the three detachable antennae give it quite the aggressive look. The back of the router has four LAN ports and one source port for your Internet gateway. It also has a USB port for plugging in an external drive or printer. I know its trivial, but I love the ability to turn off the LED indicators on the router's front side. More products should offer this.
Setting this up is easy. Just plug it in and your computer will automatically detect it and open a web interface. The RT-AC68U offers a wide range of interesting features and tools. Intermediate users can perform tasks like calling up a network map of all connected devices, and using said map to configure and revoke device access. Even better, you can set up one Wi-Fi network on each band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) as well as three discrete public networks on each band. Advanced users can set up Asus' AiDisk to share a connected drive's music, movies, and more via a DLNA-compatible stream, or even via FTP. You can even extend this access all the way downstream to your main PC but use this with caution. The best feature in my opinion is the dual-WAN support that allows you to put two ISPs together to back each other up, definitely ideal for businesses as a contingency. Wi-Fi coverage and range is top notch being stable even up to 50 feet and 4 walls between you. Data transfer is extremely fast, with its wireless transfer rate just a few seconds slower than a Gigabit Ethernet connection, and that is impressive indeed.
At the $140 - $200 range, this router's price is justified and then some. If you don't know or don't need all the extra features its okay to look for something else as it may be overkill for you. That said, this is one of the best I have reviewed and is a must have for home and small businesses, and for IT savvy people who want their home network "pimped out" so to speak.Read full review Hide full review
- Compatible with ADSL CenturyLink (NOT their VDSL) and major DSL service providers
- Not compatible with Verizon FIOS, AT&T U-verse or cable systems such as Comcast,Time Warner, Cablevision, Cox, Charter etc. WIRELESS SECURITY: TKIP, AES encryption, 802.1x authentication,Pre-Shared Key (PSK),MAC Address Filtering
- Preconfigured for simple setup and will auto-detect your specific service settings. Includes high-grade firewall, parental controls and a variety of protections and encryptions.
- Three products in one: full-rate ADSL 2/2+ modem, 4-port switch, and 300 Mbps wireless-N router. INTERFACES: Four 10/100 Ethernet Local Area Network, One Asymmetric digital subscriber line ( ADSL ) Port
- With the latest 802.11n technology your newer devices will achieve wireless N speeds.Backwards compatibility ensures that older wireless devices are supported, giving your wireless network the best of both worlds.The modem has been tested for maximum performance on all major DSL providers and supports ADSL2+ with speeds up to 24 Mbps downstream.
- Read more
- Fast Wi-Fi router, with combined dual-band data rates of 1900Mbps for three times faster performance than 802.11n routers
- Broadcom TurboQAM technology increases wireless-N data rate to 600Mbps for 33% faster performance
- ASUS AiRadar with universal beam forming enhances signal range and stability
- Five gigabit ethernet ports for fast, stable wired network connections
- Dual USB ports with 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0
- OS Support : Windows® 10; Windows® 8.1; Windows® 8; Windows® 7; Windows® Vista; Windows® 2000; Windows® ME; Windows® XP; Windows® Server 2003; Windows® Server 2008; Mac OS X 10.1; Mac OS X 10.4; Mac OS X 10.5; Mac OS X 10.6; Mac OS X 10.7; Mac OS X 10.8; Mac OS X; Linux Kernel (Support Ubuntu only); Linux
- Read more
- Windows 7
- Windows 8
- Windows Vista Business
- Windows Vista Enterprise
- Windows Vista Home Basic
- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Windows Vista Ultimate
- Windows XP Home Edition
- Windows XP Professional
- Mac OS X 10.1 Puma
- Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar
- Mac OS X 10.3 Panther
- Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
- Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
- Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard
- Mac OS X 10.7 Lion
- Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
Deals up to 80%
Millions of products go on sale every day. Who has time to keep track of it all? We do, for your convenience.