Most Popular Routers
Comparing Actiontec GT784WN and NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900
NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900
- Overall good performance
- Genie software
- Detachable antennas
- Open - source firmware
- Weak warranty
- Inferior range
- Awkwardly large AC adapter
- Odd setup
Routers are something that are often taken for granted by the average consumer. Did you know that the routers supplied by most ISPs worldwide are severely substandard and you could get so much more? Did you also know that routers are your first line of defense against hacking? Netgear is a household (if you're an IT guy) name in the industry and has supplied reliable, and affordable routers throughout. Lets see if the Netgear Nighthawk AC 1900, also known as the R7000 is just as good as its heavyweights.
Measuring 11.2 x 7.3 x 2.0 inches, the black, angular R7000 looks like a little brother to the R8000. It can be wall mounted or shelved, its AC adapter is a little too large at 3.5 x 2.8 x 1.1-inches. In the front you have 12 indicator lights, and a USB 3.0 port. The back of has 4-gigabit Ethernet ports, unfortunately it doesn't have the higher-speed ports that some models in the same price range have. There's a USB 2.0 port in there as well. Three antennas at the back use beam-forming technology to capture and boost the signal. And these can be unscrewed and replaced with specialized, third-party antennas.
This router setup is a little odd, without a CD installer along with it you'll have to download this online yourself and the booklet will tell you the rest. But after setting this up the router can work with everything from WEP to WPA2 encryption techniques, has Network Address Translation (NAT) and Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI) firewalls, and can protect against a Denial of Service attack (DDOS). The Genie software app for IOS, Android, PC, and Macs can make the editing of the router settings a breeze. The Wi-Fi range is good at close ranges but sharply declines the further you get, not making this ideal for large houses. And the R7000's 91 Mbps of 2.4-GHz bandwidth is good enough for gaming and general use. The warranty is a bit disappointing with only one year of coverage.
If you are looking for a fairly affordable router that performs well beyond its price range this is ideal for you. But if you have a big house, and more intensive data traffic, especially those that are wireless going on this might disappoint you. But at just in the $190.00 range you indeed get what you pay for with this contender.Read full review Hide full review
- Compatible with ADSL CenturyLink (NOT their VDSL) and major DSL service providers
- Not compatible with Verizon FIOS, AT&T U-verse or cable systems such as Comcast,Time Warner, Cablevision, Cox, Charter etc. WIRELESS SECURITY: TKIP, AES encryption, 802.1x authentication,Pre-Shared Key (PSK),MAC Address Filtering
- Preconfigured for simple setup and will auto-detect your specific service settings. Includes high-grade firewall, parental controls and a variety of protections and encryptions.
- Three products in one: full-rate ADSL 2/2+ modem, 4-port switch, and 300 Mbps wireless-N router. INTERFACES: Four 10/100 Ethernet Local Area Network, One Asymmetric digital subscriber line ( ADSL ) Port
- With the latest 802.11n technology your newer devices will achieve wireless N speeds.Backwards compatibility ensures that older wireless devices are supported, giving your wireless network the best of both worlds.The modem has been tested for maximum performance on all major DSL providers and supports ADSL2+ with speeds up to 24 Mbps downstream.
- Read more
- Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, CableONE & more.
- Three-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem + AC1750 WiFi Router+ 4 Gigabit Wired Switch
- Up to 680Mbps modem speed and Dual-Band AC1750 (2.4GHz & 5GHz) WiFi speed. 16x4 channel bonding/ Approved for plans up to 300 Mbps.
- DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 16x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- Ideal for streaming HD videos, faster downloads, and high-speed online gaming
- Read more
Deals up to 50%
Millions of products go on sale every day. Who has time to keep track of it all? We do, for your convenience.