Most popular vacuum cleaners
Comparing Dyson Big Ball and Shark Navigator Lift Away
- 2 Tier Radial cyclones: Two tiers of cyclones increase airflow for powerful centrifugal forces capturing more dust and allergens
- The only vacuum that gets back up when toppled: Others vacuums fall down and stay down. Only Dyson Big Ball canister vacuums pick themselves up.
- Read more
- Lift-Away: Press a button to lift the canister away and easily clean hard-to-reach areas.
- Anti-allergen complete seal technology and a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens inside the vacuum.
- Powerful and lightweight upright vacuum. Portable and versatile at only 12.5 pounds
- Read more
There are two major types of vacuums: bagged or bagless. Bagged vacuums collect all dirt and debris into a bag, which must be changed every time it’s full. These bags are typically better at collecting allergens that irritate asthma and allergies. Plus, bagged vacuums are easier to empty, but they do require you to purchase new bags on an ongoing basis.
Bagless vacuums collect dirt and debris into a dustbin or canister, which is emptied when it’s full. Though there are no bags, and therefore no ongoing investment, the downside is that this style can be difficult to empty and oftentimes scatters dust when you’re dumping the bin if you’re not careful.
In addition, the maximum capacity of the dustbin or bag will vary widely based on vacuum type. Regardless of type, a good vacuum also includes an indicator when the bin/bag is full. In bagless vacuums, the dustbin is usually see-through, so you can tell when its full. For bagged vacuums, it’s especially helpful to have a full bag light or sound indication when it’s time to empty the bag.
Keep in mind the size of your home and its rooms when you consider the length of the vacuum’s cord. Longer cords will allow you to vacuum longer without needing to move to another outlet. The average cord length is around 5 meters or 15 feet, though some brands and models will have cords up to 10 meters/30 feet. If you live in a small apartment, cord length probably isn’t a huge concern for you. However, longer cords will help you clean larger homes and rooms more quickly and with fewer interruptions from moving outlet to outlet. Also, retractable cords are easier to store, especially if you have a longer cord length, which is something to consider.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology® + HEPA filter
- Swivel steering for easy maneuverability
- Features brushroll shutoff