Most Popular Modems
Netgear AC1200 - Reviews, Prices, Specs and Alternatives
Cable internet is a dying breed but still widely exists in the more rural parts of the world. Netgear is still in the cable modem game and unlike most competitors they one up most of them by doing a cable modem with a router built in. I cant tell you how good this is; you save more money on equipment rental and don't have to buy another device. But there's more to this than meets the eye. This is the Netgear C6220 AC1200.
A solid "middle ground" purchase, the roughly $130.00 Netgear C6220 is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem that is compatible with most ISPs out today. Housed in Netgear's signature "Stealth Fighter" design is a modem and router in one making it a budget - friendly, one stop solution to cable internet. The router has 2 Ethernet ports, each with 1 Gbps throughput, a coaxial line in, 2 USB ports, and a power line in. Its router part is capable of speeds of 1Gbps, and the modem bit can handle 300mbps max. Why the difference? This is because this device can serve as a multimedia server meaning you can store files through the USB and stream this to devices in your network. This saves you from having to plug an HDMI cable into your laptop, and turns the router into an all-inclusive media center. The network security features are also tight which is an added bonus.
The only downside is that this modem/router isn't super fast and its bandwidth cant keep up with high speed ISP plans. So this is only best used for gaming, and general use by the one in the middle, which chances are, is you. This is one of the best bang-for-buck cable modems out there and is a first choice for me should I have a cable internet plan.
- All in one solution to cable internet at home
- Can be a media center
- Powerful for its price
- Bandwidth and speed cant keep up with higher ISP plans
- Cable internet might be obsolete soon
- Two-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
- Dual-Band AC1200 (2.4GHz & 5GHz)
- 2 Ethernet ports
- 1 USB 2.0 port
- Up to 100Mbps
- 8x4 channel bonding
Netgear AC1200 is a top selling option on the higher end of the price range. It's a #1 bestseller in modems category and has dozens of popular alternatives in the same price range, such as Motorola MG7540 or Verizon Fios Quantum Gateway .
Netgear AC1200 is $26.11 more expensive than the average modem ($96.88).
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Two-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem + AC1200 WiFi Router
- Recommended for all speed tiers up to 100Mbps. 8x4 channel bonding.
- Ideal for streaming HD videos, faster downloads, and high-speed online gaming
- Required for the fastest cable Internet speed tiers. DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- Read more