Most Popular Streaming Players
Roku Premiere - Reviews, Prices, Specs and Alternatives
Roku has been around many years giving us good, spartan TV boxes to use for our viewing pleasure. Now that we have 4k they have released an upgrade that will allow you to stream 4k videos from sources like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and many more.
The Roku Premiere is Roku’s 4K 60fps streaming unit on the entry level. It connects to your TV with an HDMI cable and is easy to set up, its simply plug and play that will automatically recognize your TV, and download sofare updates with no issues. A neat feature is that it can "upgrade" your TV's resolution from 720p to 1080p on HDTVs and from 720p or 1080p to 4K up to 60fps on 4K UHD TVs. The main menu is the same old interface and its quad core processor makes it perform super fast.
All in all its a good device, but it does have its downs. The menu can be a little too "snappy" and a button press can take you past the item you like. There are some buffering issues as well and when you stream 4k content, it can get a little annoying since that itll stop midway to buffer a bit so the Roku can catch up. The main Achilles heel is that it has no ethernet port so you'll only have to rely on Wi-Fi. Buy a solid Wi-Fi router to counter this.
Its is priced in the $80 range more or less which makes these shortcomings bearable at the very least. For just $20.00-ish more you can get the Roku Premiere Plus and get a better performing machine. But if this is the only one available, already have a solid router, and if you're on a super tight budget this is a great buy for you.
- - Affordable
- - 4K compatible
- - Easy to setup and use
- - No Ethernet port
- - relying only on WiFi
- - IR remote
- Perfect for HD and 4K Ultra HD TVs
- Fast quad-core processor
- 802.11ac dual-band wireless
- 4K Ultra HD
- Four times the resolution of 1080p HD
Roku Premiere is a very popular option in the middle of the streaming players price range. It's in the top 3 bestselling streaming players and has dozens of popular alternatives in the same price range, such as GooBang Doo XB-II 2017 or PlayStation TV DualShock 3 .
Roku Premiere is $1.10 less expensive than an average streaming player ($64.99).
- Perfect for HD and 4K Ultra HD TVs, features fast quad-core processor and 802.11ac dual-band wireless.
- 4K Ultra HD with four times the resolution of 1080p HD, delivers crisp detail and brilliant, life-like images.
- Easy access to 450,000+ movies and TV episodes across 4,500+ paid or free channels, including Netflix, Video, Hulu, and PBS KIDS.
- Unbiased search across top channels. Find where it's free or cheapest to watch.
- Free Roku mobile app on your iOS or Android phone for handy voice search, sharing photos, private listening with headphones, and more.
- Read more